NCDD 2023 Summer Session Recap: The Art of Not Guilty: Advanced Method
In July, top minds in the field of drunk driving defense converged in Chicago for the National College for DUI Defense® (NCDD) 2023 Summer Session.
The theme of this year’s seminar, The Art of Not Guilty: Advanced Methods of Storytelling, Narrative and Persuasion, provided a deep dive into the art of winning a not guilty verdict in a drunk driving case. For three days, DUI defense professionals immersed themselves in learning, networking, and the art of trial advocacy.
This course was the brainchild of NCDD Dean, Course Creator, and Course Director of the NCDD 2023 Summer Session, Attorney Andrew Mishlove. Mishlove worked for close to two years to gather the all-star faculty, organize planning sessions for the small groups, set the agenda, and see to it that everything from the food to the lighting was on track. He worked tirelessly to ensure the program’s success.
Seminar Sessions: Communication, Narrative, and Theater
Although DUI attorneys draw on analytical skills, legal acumen, and a scientific foundation in building a defense, this NCDD Summer Session reminded attendees that defending an OWI case is first and foremost an art. From listening, communicating, and narrative structure to vocal inflection and eye contact, this year’s sessions focused on storytelling as the critical work of drunk driving defense attorneys.
This year’s seminar sessions included:
- Theater for Trial!: Advanced Communication and Narrative Techniques, Lecture, Demonstrations, Practice with Trial Consultant Joshua Karton
- Communication and Narrative in Opening: Lecture, Demonstration, Practice with Trial Lawyer Francisco A. Duarte
- Telling the Winning Story!: Advanced Communication and Narrative Techniques, Lecture, Demonstration, Practice with Author and Jury Trial Consultant Jesse Wilson
- Brand Building: Telling Your Story with Brian M. Blades of Scorpion Internet Marketing
- Communication and Narrative in Cross-Examination: Lecture, Demonstration, Practice with Trial Lawyer Abraham V. Hutt
- Twelve Heroes, One Voice!: Advanced Communication and Narrative Techniques, Lecture, Demonstration, Practice with Trial Lawyers Carl Bettinger and Fredilyn Sison
In the afternoons, attendees engaged in small group breakout sessions facilitated by workshop leaders. These breakout sessions provided a more intimate and interactive setting for participants to delve deeper into the day’s topics and share their insights and experiences.
Even within a field as demanding as DUI defense law, there is room for humor and levity. In addition to seminar sessions, attendees were also treated to an Evening at the Improv: Improv for Lawyers Show! Featuring performers Michelle Gilliam, Kimmie Warner, and Attorney Jonathan Dichter.
On the seminar’s final day, Orange County’s “DUI Queen” Virginia L. Landry delivered the Dean’s Address followed by Keynote Speaker Lisa Monet Wayne, Executive Director of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL).
Facing Drunk Driving Charges? Contact NCDD Board-Certified Attorneys Andrew Mishlove and Lauren Stuckert
There are only two NCDD board-certified DUI defense lawyers in Wisconsin: Attorneys Andrew Mishlove and Lauren Stuckert, partners at Mishlove & Stuckert, LLC Attorneys at Law. Attorneys Mishlove and Stuckert have over 40 years of experience achieving dismissals and reduced charges for their drunk driving clients.
To speak with one of our board-certified OWI/DUI defense specialists, request a consultation online or call us at (414) 206-6919.